- Title text 1
Who We Are
North Innovation Fund is a privately-held specialty financing firm that provides ongoing SR&ED accrual debt loans to early stage Canadian companies in a variety of technology-based sectors.
NIF leverages its extensive SR&ED knowledge and private capital markets experience to enable entrepreneurs to scale their business with greater certainty.
NIF identifies high growth and innovative companies that are in need of non-dilutive growth capital to accelerate their transition from early stage to commercialization. NIF will advance funds for between 12 and 36 months, subject to the needs of the company and credit review by NIF.
How we invest:
- We lend against ongoing SR&ED accruals in advance (before the filing date) in order for companies to meet their cash flow needs and grow their business.
- We take active “off loading” project management roles in preparing SR&ED claims on a regular basis.
- Less than 30 days to close a transaction.
What we look for:
- Geographic Location: Headquartered in Ontario
- Sector Focus: High Technology, Digital Media, Telecommunications, Clean Tech, Life Sciences and Advanced Manufacturing
- Stage of Maturity: Early to mid-stage
- Situations: Minimum T4 payroll of $400,000 and two years of successful SR&ED filings
What we offer:
- Timely and flexible capital: We finance early- to mid-stage growth companies – some may not have sufficient positive cash flows to access traditional debt.
- Lower cost of capital / no dilution: The cost of our SR&ED financing is significantly lower than the cost of raising equity and does not dilute existing shareholders.
- "Friendly" capital: We focus on expenses and SR&ED eligibility and not revenue projections, profitability and valuation.
- Future growth financings: By leveraging our network of angel and venture capital investors, these capital sources could serve as a potential growth investor on future equity financings, if needed.
- More than just capital: Our experienced team has been involved in mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, raising capital and lending/investing in privately-held businesses in Canada. Our network of relationships spans leading venture capital/private equity firms, Schedule A banks, alternative lenders, investment banks as well as industry professionals in other leading companies across various sectors.